Sunday, December 12, 2010

Flamenco and American folk come together......what?!?



The band Iron and Wine was started by Sam Beam from South Carolina.  Their first album, The Creek Drank the Cradle, which came out in 2002 was described to be a mix of indie and folk.  Their music can be compared to that of Simon and Garfunkel, Neil Young, and Nick Drake.  That is why I was shocked to find a video of flamenco dancers dancing to an acoustic, very American song by Iron and Wine.  However, after the shock I began to really enjoy the out of the ordinary combination.  The video not only includes great choreography, but also amazing visual and special affects.  For instance notice the cartoon butterflies and swirls created by the dance teacher, dressed in red.
  Who would have ever guessed that such a mix would be possible.  However, I give a lot of credit to the artist for giving a very accurate representation of flamenco.  The dance is beautifully done and shows a lot of cultural aspects of flamenco such as the teacher dancing as well as the students.  Hopefully this video can open the eyes of those of you who enjoy either flamenco or American folky music, to see that cultures with such vast differences can fuse together to create something beautiful.  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We stumbled over here by a different web address and thought I
should check things out. I like what I see so now i'm following you. Look forward to looking at your web page again.

My web site ... diaper rash home remedies

Anonymous said...

It's really very complicated in this active life to listen news on TV, so I only use the web for that reason, and get
the newest information.

my web blog; goodgame empire hack gratuit ()

Anonymous said...

That is a good tip especially to those new to the blogosphere.

Brief but very precise information… Thanks for sharing this
one. A must read article!

Feel free to surf to my web site: air compressor clean computer

Anonymous said...

I just like the valuable info you provide to your articles.
I will bookmark your blog and check once more here regularly.
I am rather certain I'll be informed lots of new stuff right right here!
Good luck for the next!

Feel free to surf to my web-site: condo inspection in bronx